Leket – Tote-Bag Project
Leket is the largest food bank in Israel and has been a leader and expert in food rescue since 2003.
Leket Israel, the National Food Bank, is Israel’s leading food rescue organization delivering surplus food – providing both hot meals and agricultural produce – to an average of 175,000 needy people every week. The hot meals and fruits and vegetables are all rescued from either destruction or ending up in landfills. In 2016, Leket Israel rescued 2,300,000 hot meals and 14,000 tons of fresh agricultural produce.
We would be delighted to have you participate in the Leket Israel Sayeret Tapuz Tote-Bag Project. Through the project, participants decorate tote-bags (or create bags repurposed from recycled t-shirts) to be used by Israeli teenagers when rescuing fresh delicious produce from private backyards and gardens in Israel, that otherwise would go to waste. The collected produce will be distributed to our non-profit partners, providing nutritious fruits and vegetables to those in need throughout Israel.
There are two ways in which you can take part in this project:
1) Decorating plain white tote bags: students decorate white tote bags with fabric markers and stencils.
- Canvas tote bags can be purchased from Amazon, a crafts store or wherever convenient. Bags vary in cost and size.
- Stencils and or Fabric Markers
Additionally, you can decorate the bags with sharpies, tie-dye, paint, etc.
2) Creating tote bags out of recycled t-shirts: students repurpose old/used t-shirts and create tote bags
- Recycled/old/used t-shirts
- Fabric Markers
Additionally, you can decorate the bags with sharpies, tie-dye, paint, etc..
Once you have made and/or decorated your bags ready for use. You only need to get them to Watford (ask Mitzvah Day for the address), we’ll take them the rest of the way to Israel!
For more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org